Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thinking in Haiku

Sometimes inspiration hits and you go with it. 

Lately, I’ve been thinking in haiku. A haiku is a poem with a pattern of five syllables in the 1st and 3rd lines, and seven syllables in the middle line. Here is an example  based on the birds. Enjoy!

“Raptor”
Raptor; Bird of Prey
What makes you so? A hooked beak,
Sharp talons, strong feet


Eyes are important
We spot food from miles away
They help us see prey.

What do you eat? Meat!
Wait…. Then catch it with my feet.
Mammals, birds, reptiles

Submitted by Christina Lavallee, World Bird Sanctuary Naturalist

3 comments:

Jane said...

My son has been doing Haiku at school this week & he had me doing haiku poetry last night. I didn't come up with anything as good as yours though!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are good.

Photog said...

Thank you for the compliments. We are priveleged to work with some amazingly versatile and talented people at the World Bird Sanctuary.