Thursday, February 28, 2008

Education birds

Conservationists tend to think in numbers: populations, nesting sites, acres of habitat. It is a necessary way of seeing, one that allows us to chart and track the health of any given species or region. Education and volunteer programs allow us to see what is at stake in a different way. Individual birds can leave an impression on visitors for years to come. They teach us that the hungry urgency of the handfed chick corresponds to the urgency of owls in the wild as they struggle to live alongside us.

Robert Frost said, “We love the things we love for what they are.” We love raptors for their beauty and, more importantly, their scarcity. It is the condition of endangerment to demand that we love hardest those things we might lose.






3 comments:

Bonghi Vestiti said...

Love the Falcon! My son just can't wait for banding season to start...I don't mind the song birds but after looking at his hand last year after a redtail nailed him I think I'll say clear! :)

World Bird Sanctuary said...

Hi bonghi! Long time no see (or type). I've been putting all my etsy energy to work here.

I'm glad you like the pics. Tell your son to be careful with the hawks!

Stephanie

DanielC15 said...

Yes, I know what you mean Bonghi. I've been bitten/ footed by soo many different hawks, falcons, owls, and eagles. It can be painful, but over the years, I've gotten used to it :). It's part of the job.