Thursday, December 23, 2010

What The World Bird Sanctuary Means To Me


Someone once asked me what the World Bird Sanctuary means to me?  Simply put--everything.  It’s hard to put everything into a short blog so I will give just a little bit of explanation.

All I have ever wanted to do since I was a little girl was to be able to work with Bald Eagles.   I used to dream about working with them, especially after the movie Continental Divide came out back in 1981, and then seeing the devastation of the oil spill on the Exxon Valdez in Alaska in 1989.  I remember worrying so much about the population of eagles. 
Volunteer Jennifer Jones holding Liberty, the Bald Eagle
WBS made my dream a reality.  I still remember the day that I held Liberty, one of WBS’s education Bald Eagles, for the first time, and holding back my tears of joy until the end of the presentation.  I still tear up to this day.  I have an extreme sense of pride and honor knowing that I am a part of something as important as educating the public, both young and old, about the importance of not only bald eagles, but all birds of prey and the environment.  Every time I do a program with Liberty I am extremely proud and honored to be given the opportunity to be with him and to represent WBS and our Nation’s Symbol.

I can actually say I am at peace when working at WBS.  Certainly, there is a lot of work to be done, but it is good work, and a kind with a sense of accomplishment, like the first time I held Liberty about 7 years ago.  I can truly say this feeling has never changed.  I still get goose bumps when a child comes up and tells me some fact they learned during one of my programs.  Then there is the little girl who tells you she wants to be like you and work with eagles, too, when she grows up.  That little girl almost made me cry.
Jennifer Jones presentiing the Dupont Volunteer Recognition check to Director of Facilities, Roger Holloway (left) and Sanctuary Manager, Joe Hoffmann (right) 
WBS is a part of me.  It is not only a sanctuary for birds but it is my sanctuary as well--a sense of peace for me when it seems everything else is crazy.  All I have to do is see Liberty, or another one of my favorite WBS birds—Keeoo the Augur Buzzard--and I am better.  So, when I had the opportunity to be able to possibly win a $1000 donation through DuPont for Volunteer Recognition, I went for it with no hesitation and wrote about the sanctuary and what they do and how I was involved.  The DuPont Volunteer Recognition program recognizes employees who are contributors not only at work but in the community as volunteers.  I am proud to say that on November 9th I found out that I was one of DuPont’s Honorees and won $1000 for the sanctuary's Kathryn G. Favre Wildlife Hospital.

It means a lot to be able to give this money to the sanctuary, a place where the staff works so hard and perseveres against all obstacles.  I truly wish for the sanctuary and its wildlife hospital to remain open for future generations.  This donation may be just a drop in a pretty big bucket, but a drop I am very proud of.  The sanctuary has given me so much-- probably more than they know--and now I can give them a little something back for all they have done for me.

Submitted by Jennifer Jones, World Bird Sanctuary Volunteer

3 comments:

Lemayrenee said...

Jennifer congratulations. I want your to know I teared up reading what you wrote. I think when we are doing what we are suppose to be doing, we know it exactly as you describe you relationship with the WBS and the Bald Eagles (and keeoo too). It's always hard to write such strong emotions but you did it beautifully. Again congratulation to you for your commitment and enthusiasm.

Amy said...

This is a beautiful post, Jennifer. Congratulations on the Volunteer Recognition honor. I just started volunteering at a local rehab and education facility and I hope to continue for many years. I have followed the blog for a while - thanks to all for what you do. Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

I attended a WBS program last Saturday at the Melvin Price Lock & Dam. I grew up with small birds (parakeets and cockatiels), and I'm really fascinated with all birds. Jennifer and the other volunteers put on a really nice show. It was definitely worth the $5.00 admission and the 35 minute ride from South County. I wanted to make at least a small contribution, but the line for the bird stuffing the donations into a box was too long. I guess I'll look at the WBS website and make a donation there.