Friday, January 14, 2011

Handling Duncan


A few weeks ago I handled our Wedge-Tailed Eagle, Duncan, for the first time.  I don’t normally work in the department where this bird is housed, so the opportunity hadn’t really presented itself before.  We do not know if Duncan is a male or female, as the plumage is the same for both sexes.  I will refer to Duncan as a “he” for writing purposes, unless he proves us otherwise, by laying an egg.
Duncan, our Wedge-Tailed Eagle 
I admit I was a little apprehensive about handling him.  He is a rather large bird and has shown a dislike for certain people that have had to assist during routine beak and talon trims.  When birds are in captivity, their beaks and talons do not wear down as they would in the wild, so they require a little upkeep on our part.

I knew ahead of time that I would be handling Duncan soon, because all of our birds that are on equipment (jessed birds) are weighed every two weeks, and their equipment is thoroughly checked and treated, in addition to inspecting the bird’s feet.  I decided I wanted a preview of what Duncan’s behavior might be like, so I tagged along with staff members Laura and Sara, for a dry run.  I was pretty surprised at how calm he was for them, and after seeing their interaction, I felt pretty confident that I wouldn’t have any problems.

My first time handlng a Wedge-Tailed Eagle 
Two weeks later, it was my turn to work with him, and I was pretty jazzed about it.  He stepped up onto my glove like a pro and we walked for a bit down to the building where the scale was set up.  As soon as we stepped outside, he spread his wings and stretched out for a few moments.  Then he made a lot of cute little “squeaky” sounding noises as we walked.  Sara and I weighed him, checked his equipment and his feet, and then I proudly put him on his perch so he could enjoy some outdoor time.  I had finally handled a Wedge-Tailed Eagle, and it was a pretty awesome feeling.
 What an awesome feeling!
Duncan was the first Wedge-Tailed Eagle hatched by WBS, back in 1988.  He has been a part of our zoo programs in several states.  Wedge-Tailed Eagles are native to Australia’s mainland, and their largest bird of prey.  They have a 7’ – 8’ wingspan and weigh 8 – 12 pounds.  Their prey of choice is rabbits or hares, but they will also feed on carrion, smaller birds and other small mammals.  Several Wedge-Tailed Eagles may be seen at a time feeding on a carcass – as many as 30 – 40.

The next time you visit World Bird Sanctuary, be sure to look for Duncan on the exhibit line, past the Wildlife Hospital.

Submitted by Billie Bauman, World Bird Sanctuary Outreach Coordinator

No comments: