Monday, March 21, 2011

Shadow vs. Tsavo: An Insider’s Perspective on “Personalities”

I doubt that most people give much thought to whether or not birds of prey exhibit any kind of individual character or personality. 

Without question, many of the birds of prey I have worked with in captivity do seem to exhibit both individual personalities and behaviors, likes and dislikes.  Certain behaviors seem to vary not only with each individual bird, but can be different according to the individual human that is handling or even walking past a specific bird.  
Max, the Tawny Eagle--affectionately known as our "watchbird"
If you have been around the Environmental Education Center when Maximus, the Tawny Eagle is outside, you can hear her “bark” anytime she sees someone she knows.  Some people have watchdogs, but we have a watchbird.
Turk, the Turkey Vulture has definite opinions about certain humans 
Another example is Turk the Turkey Vulture.  She seems to exhibit a strong dislike for me, and I have no idea as to why.  She also has a definite distaste for some of our staff members that have had to catch her up for routine medical check-ups and maintenance.  That I can certainly understand, and we have several birds that give these particular persons the “stink eye” anytime they see them.  Unfortunately it is a part of the job that comes with the territory.  We know not to take it personally.

There are a few female Harris’ Hawks that don’t seem to care for me, yet they hold other staff in high regard.  However, it goes both ways--there are certain birds that seem to be friendlier to me and don’t particularly care for certain other staff.

Who can say what goes on in the thinking process of a bird, and why they choose to like or dislike certain people.  I am just pointing out that it happens, and I find it both interesting and entertaining.

I have worked in particular with two birds of the same species, but at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as personality goes.  I am referring to Tsavo and Shadow, our Bateleur Eagles. 
Tsavo has become one of my favorites
Tsavo has become one of my favorite birds to work with at the Environmental Education Center.  He exhibits a sweet and laid back demeanor and seems quite comfortable with me.  He has never shown any kind of aggressive tendencies toward me, and will make cute little barking noises when I am near.  This is a very different sound than a Bateleur’s aggressive barking noise, which I will mention again later.  Oddly, Tsavo is not as happy-go-lucky with all of his handlers, and on occasion has become slightly aggressive toward some.  Thankfully, I seem to be accepted into his flock, so it isn’t a problem for me.  I will miss him greatly this summer when he makes his way to star in a WBS educational bird show at a zoo.
 Shadow, expressing his opinion of me
At the opposite end of the spectrum is Shadow.  I worked with Shadow at Grant’s Farm over the summer.  It was challenging, to say the least.  Shadow seems to have taken a serious dislike toward me and makes no bones about demonstrating how he feels.  If I am within eyeshot, he begins lifting his head and wings and posturing.  He starts calling out in angry tones, barking wildly, and even banging his beak on the ground (never hard enough to hurt himself).  It is quite a display.  If I were a bird, I would definitely head in the other direction.  However, I have to work with this bird, snotty attitude or not.  It is something one gets accustomed to, and we learn appropriate measures and methods of how to deal with this type of behavior.  On the other hand, Shadow seemed to become quite enamored with Lisbeth, who also worked with him at Grant’s Farm.  It was amazing to see how differently he reacted to each of us.

So who knows what it is about someone that a bird of prey seems to either love or deplore.  And who knows if they really do have their own personality.  I just find it to be a fascinating aspect about the feathered friends that I so admire and am privileged enough to work with.

Submitted by Billie Baumann, World Bird Sanctuary Outreach Coordinator

2 comments:

Lemayrenee said...

I have not seen that much of Shadow but it seems to me his beak is always more on the yellow side and Tsavo is always more on the red side. When I watch Peregrine falcons on web cams they will turn their head an stare at something very intently and for a long time and I just can not help but wonder "what are they thinking about? I think all animals have personalities, likes and dislikes according to their experiences just like humans. I think what amazes me the most about birds is how complex their lives are and we hardly ever notice. You are uniquely fortunate to have a "Job" that lets you observe, study and enjoy the complex personalities of God Birds. God put wings on the angles and birds he did NOT give us wings have you ever pondered that kundrum?

Lhodges15 said...

Your article is wonderful Billie! It really is strange how birds treat differnet people. I love Shadow and you love Tsavo!