Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Go Fish – Go Green!

The peak of fishing season is finally upon us.  


A nice stringer of bass and crappie

Stream fishing for Black Bass opened on May 28, 2011, and National Fishing and Boating Week was right around the corner – June 4 – 12, 2011.

Catfishing usually calls for a pretty heavy sinker

Fishing season for me means that virtually any free time I  have will be spent on the river or at my favorite fishing hole.  On any given fishing adventure I know that there are only three guarantees:  snags, snakes and finding a lot of other people’s trash that has been left behind.
A Northern Water Snake devouring a frog

The particular lake that I frequent has plenty of opportunities for snags – and for snakes.  There are trees everywhere above ground, and lots of downed logs and branches in the water that are difficult to see.  I know every time I go out, I will be going home with fewer sinkers than I started with due to numerous snags and line breakage.

Whenever I hit a snag or break a line I have to wonder how many other people have done the same thing on any given day.  It’s a good feeling knowing that the sinkers I lost are lead-free, and won’t pose a lead-poisoning threat to waterfowl or a bird of prey.  

Waterfowl sometimes accidentally ingest sinkers as they are sifting through grit.  Too many lead sinkers, and they can become poisoned.  Birds of prey will usually take the easiest kill and that often means they will dine on the sick or injured.  Ingesting poisoned waterfowl can lead to an eagle’s demise in a most horrifying way.

When shopping for sinkers look for the new environmentally friendly type

I’ve noticed this year that there are many more choices for environmentally friendly lead-free sinkers on the shelves.  I am thrilled to see improvements both at my local sporting goods store, and local discount store.  This is a welcome change from last year when I had to search high and low for lead-free gear.  

I know that most of us grew up using lead sinkers and it’s pretty much all we’ve ever known.  I have made the switch to tungsten, steel and tin alternatives, and the cost really isn’t much more.  The fish do not seem to notice the difference, and I can’t tell it either.


I want to do my part to keep lead out of the fish I eat, out of the watershed, and especially out of the beaks of the birds of prey and waterfowl that I so enjoy.  I hope that you will do the same.  

Take the family, get out there and catch the big one!  Pass along the love and respect of the great outdoors, our wildlife and nature.

Submitted by Billie Baumann, World Bird Sanctuary Outreach Coordinator 

No comments: