Monday, September 22, 2014
Save $100 - Avian Training Workshop
Only a few days left to take advantage of the early registration bonus for the World Bird Sanctuary Avian Training Workshop! By registering before October 1st you can save $100. After that date registration will be the full fee of $750.
What is an Avian Training Workshop you may ask, and what do I get for my registration fee?
Workshop students learning to do a necropsy
The WBS Avian Training Workshop is an intensive 4-day workshop, which covers all aspects of housing, training, feeding and caring for raptors, parrots, corvids and many other species. The workshop includes both classroom and hands-on training.
Students learn to weigh and weight manage a raptor (in this case an American Kestrel)
Subjects covered in the classroom section include:
* Establishing your own program--permits, insurance, facilities, staff & volunteers
* Working with and training your bird--manning and positive reinforcement, desensitizing
* Choosing the correct species to work with
* Transportation--crates, permits, driving, flying, shipping
* Housing--mews, jumpboxes, A-frames, flight cages, climate, hotwiring enclosures, substrates
* Perch types--bow, platform, screen, etc.--which perch works best for which species
* Diets--food types, frozen vs. live, storage, prep, raising food colonies, vitamins
* Training your birds for flying--weight management, base weights, target weighs, flyer food
A Workshop student flying a Harris' Hawk
Everybody's favorite--the hands-on section:
Our staff believes one of the best ways to learn is through the hands-on experience of doing things yourself. At our workshop you will have the opportunity to actually do the following:
* Make jesses and anklets
* Practice imping feathers
* Experience coping and trimming of a raptor
* Participate in simple public speaking games and learn how different elements make you a better public speaker
* Fly a Harris' Hawk and/or Barn Owl with WBS staff
* Help train a new behavior with a White-necked Raven (continues throughout the workshop)
* "Be the Bird" in our training game
* Participate in emergency medical care and do a gross necropsy on a raptor
The workshop also includes an extensive tour of WBS' facilities and opportunities to see birds and housing up close.
RESERVATIONS REQUIRED. Workshop has a minimum of 10 participants and a maximum of 20.
WHEN: Thursday, October 30th through Sunday, Nov. 2nd
EARLY REGISTRATION: Sign up by October 1st - Cost - $650
LATE REGISTRATION: Sign up after October 1st - Cost - $750
$100 non-refundable deposit required by October 1st for early registration, balance due by October 15th.
Registration fee includes lunch each day.
Transportation to and from St. Louis, hotel accommodations and breakfast & dinner are the responsibility of each participant.
To download a registration form CLICK HERE
Further questions? Contact Melissa Moore, 636-225-4390, ext. 0 or email firstname.lastname@example.org