Friday, March 28, 2008

Molting in Songbirds

Today's post is written and photographed by our volunteer, Daniel. Thanks Daniel!

Molting is a complex procedure that all birds go through at various
times in their lives. It’s the process of shedding damaged or dull
feathers, to be replaced with feathers appropriate to the time of
year and the sex of the bird. At the beginning of breeding season,
the males of some species of songbirds go through a large molt into
their breeding plumage. They do this to compete with other males of
the same species for possible mates. American Goldfinches,
Bobolinks, Indigo Buntings, Scarlet Tanagers, and most warblers, are
the most well known for their drastic color changes.

Here is a series of pictures showing the molting process of male
American Goldfinches into breeding plumage. These pictures were
taken over this past winter in my backyard.









For further reading on molting, visit the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
web site at www.birds.cornell.edu

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing has made me happier, the last few weeks, than watching the goldfinches at my feeders go all golden. There couldn't be a better cure for my lingering winter doldrums--especially here in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where the winter has been long and snowy this year. Thanks for the great post and pictures.

DanielC15 said...

Thank you very much! I love watching the birds molt! It means spring is coming. I was very fortunate to watch the different stages, and get pictures of their molts this year.

Photog said...

Daniel, keep your camera handy and keep watching that feeder. They'll get even brighter in a few more weeks.

DanielC15 said...

I actually have my camera and binoculars right next to computer, so I can take pictures or watch the birds I see out my window. You're exactly right. I saw one today that had finished his molt! I would have gotten one of him, but he flew away before I could focus.