Thursday, November 18, 2010

Flip Update: On The Move

A few months ago I introduced you all to Flip, the Red-shouldered Hawk I had begun training.   He is a bird that came into our Rehabilitation facility as a juvenile in May 2009 with a wing injury which turned out to be permanent.  My training goal at that point was manning Flip, or getting him comfortable sitting on the glove, and introducing him to being in front of the public.

Since then, Flip has had some big changes and some milestones!  First of all, he looks super-different now.  Flip has since molted and his adult plumage has grown in.   This new plumage is affectionately referred to as his “big boy feathers.”  With his rust shoulder patches, rusty breast feathers and black and white striped tail, he looks just like the adult birds you would see in a field guide.

I have only heard him make the typical Red-shouldered Hawk call a couple of times, though.  He’s still pretty squeaky, especially when I’m around.  Flip has also started to do some education programs for us, both here at the Sanctuary and out in the world.  His first show was in our amphitheater in May for a group of 12 people.  He did very well in front of the group on the glove, and was very good about going in and out of his crate.

Throughout the summer, whenever I had a program that was close to the Sanctuary or was a shorter show, I made sure to get Flip out there.  He has now done a show all the way in Ste. Genevieve, MO, quite a car trip for a new guy.  Flip actually seems the most relaxed when he’s in the car travelling to and from the show.  I mean, I know I like sitting back and watching the scenery while someone drives me around, but I didn’t know if he would feel the same way!  Seriously though, being a good traveler is such an important part of the lives of our education animals, I’m so pleased with Flip’s immediate comfort in the vehicle.
 
Flip is just one of the awesome birds you can see when you come visit the Sanctuary.  When you’re walking through the different areas, you might see perches that are empty.  Those birds are travelling with the education department on that particular day, teaching young and old alike.  Because of Flip’s excellent progress, you may see his perch open more often then not over the summer.  But it means that soon people all over the country will be getting to enjoy this awesome little bird with the adorable squeak.  He’s a wonderful example of a bird you might see in your own backyard and that is an indispensible teaching tool!  


Submitted by Dana Lambert, World Bird Sanctuary Naturalist

1 comment:

Lemayrenee said...

Beautiful Bird. I am so glad he is doing well in the program. Keep up the good work, both of you.