Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Join WBS and see the world!

Sounds a little like an advertisement for the Army, doesn’t it? 

However it is true--at least to a certain degree.  I haven’t had a chance to go outside the US with the World Bird Sanctuary, but I have been all over the country within its borders!
From the Statue of Liberty....
In the Education Department at WBS we are willing to go anywhere to present our programs.  Some of these trips have been to some interesting and far away destinations.  I especially like to get in on these long distance programs because, first of all, I love to travel, and secondly, I love to drive.  


Many of our long-distance programs are ones that we drive to, because traveling by air with the birds is a royal pain.  The birds don’t mind it one bit, but having to deal with shipping the birds and all their equipment, not to mention the security… well, it makes for a long trip.  Driving can also be a pain, just because it is obviously so much slower than flying, but you can see some fun and interesting things on the way.
...to the Washington Monument...
In my years with WBS I have had opportunities to just about literally cross the country.  I have been to Montana and Phoenix, Arizona, New York City and Washington D.C., St. Petersburg, Florida and South Padre Island, Texas.  I have had some great chances to see this beautiful country while driving through it.  
...to the deserts of Arizona...
I’ve been to the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix, the Badlands in South Dakota, the Washington Monument in D.C. and the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor.  So, I’ve seen some big majestic things, but I’ve also had a chance to see some smaller things that many people wouldn’t be terribly interested in, such as local statues, museums and other touristy bits and pieces.  One of my favorites was part of a trip I just took.
...to some lesser known...
On March 25, 2011, I drove up to Wabasha, Minnesota to the National Eagle Center to present eagle programs for their ‘Celebration of Eagles’ weekend.  On the way there Jennifer (the volunteer who was helping me out for the weekend) and I stopped for gas in a small Iowa town.  It wasn’t until we were heading out of the gas station that I realized that this little town in the middle of Iowa was an extremely important place to a science-fiction geek like me.  
...but no less interesting locations...
The town was called Riverside, Iowa, and for those of you who are wondering ‘what the heck’?  Riverside, Iowa is the “future” birthplace of James T. Kirk – Captain of the Starship Enterprise!  What a find!
...we never know where our travels will take us.
To make a long story short (too late!), on our way back I persuaded Jennifer to stop in Riverside so that I could see the town and the “future” birth site, labeled with a plaque and everything!  It may seem silly to many, but it is just one of the fun little things that I’ve had a chance to see while traveling with WBS.

Submitted by Laura MacLeod, World Bird Sanctuary Education Coordinator

No comments: