Monday, April 18, 2011

A Lifelong Fascination

Do you love creatures that fly?  I do--and have ever since I was very young.
 C. hypsea (Commonly called a Lacewing) - Photo Copyright The Butterfly House, 2011, Mark Deering
I remember noticing Butterflies when I was 5 or 6.  I would chase them, but also observe them and their beautiful colors.  We lived in an apartment when I was younger.  I do not think we had any kind of garden, but yet in between the apartment buildings would appear these little flashes of color; winged wisps.  I like to think of them as winged messengers from God, telling me that there was more out there in the big world than my mind could imagine.  Instead of gardens we had acres of dandelions and clover.  Some butterflies would light on the yellow or white flowers.  I remember the white Cabbage butterflies.  
 O. priamus, male (one of many species of Birdwing Butterflies) - Photo Copyright The Butterfly House, 2011, Mark Deering
Bees were fascinating also.  Someone showed me how to catch bees in a jar.  Sometimes you could catch 2 or 3 and have them all buzzing in the jar all at once.  We would always have to let them go before we came in for dinner.  Yes--I did get stung a few times, but wild winged things fascinated me.  When I was a little older someone taught me to catch the bees with my fingers.  We would catch them by their wings and hold them for a few seconds and then let them go.  Sedum with their little purplish flowers often attracted the bees and the butterflies called Skippers. 
D. plexippus - (or Monarch Butterfly) Photo by Gay Schroer
In 1970 the winds were just right for a big part of the Monarch Butterfly migration to pass through St. Louis.  The Monarchs were migrating from the north to the south...going right thru my subdivision--hundreds of butterflies flying thru my yard and all the neighbors’ yards.  Torrents of orange and black butterflies poured between the houses and over the rooftops.  It lasted for many days, and one evening during the peak of the migration I walked up to the woods at the top part of my street. There were thousands of butterflies landing near each other on specific trees.  About five of these trees were the main roosts.  They were so thick it was hard to see bark or leaves--just orange and black butterflies! I was told that the Monarchs were heading south and going to Mexico where they would spend the winter on a few very important acres.  Migration of butterflies and birds still fascinates me to this day. 

Fasten your seat belts because spring migration of birds is under way.  Those of you with bird feeders have recognized the transition of bird species at your feeders.  Anybody who lives in our area that was paying attention was able to see and hear daily flights of Snow Geese the last week of February and some of the days in March.  You could even hear the geese going over at night, like the night I went around the back of my house at 8pm.  I heard the Snow Geese but couldn't see them. Migration--inspiring, fascinating, spiritual, is underway.

Enjoying one creature in nature often leads to enjoying many other creatures of many different species. Somehow birds became my passion in 3rd grade.  I am privileged to work with birds and on behalf of bird species everywhere.
C. memnon (or Giant Owl Butterfly) - Photo Copyright The Butterfly House, 2011, Mark Deering

After you visit the World Bird Sanctuary, be sure to visit the Butterfly House.  What an interesting and fascinating collection of Butterflies you will see. What a spectacle!  Butterflies will surround you and may land on you or your friend or family member.  They are often attracted to your colorful clothing.  Take the time to experience the butterflies up close.  I was able to enjoy March Morpho Mania this year—all about the Morpho Butterfly species.  What an amazing experience!
 M. peleides (Blue Morpho Butterfly) - Photo Copyright The Butterfly House, 2011, Mark Deering
While you are at the Butterfly House be sure to take the time to visit the hatching chambers.  You will see the chrysalids hatching or changing into butterflies--metamorphosis.  Be sure that any children in your group get a chance to see this miracle.

I enjoyed my visit so much that I asked Mark Deering, the Acting Director, if I could use some of his butterfly pictures for my blog.  He was kind enough to give permission.  World Bird Sanctuary has worked with Mark and the Butterfly House in the past and we have a very good relationship.  My coworker Sara Oliver said that the Butterfly House was her favorite St. Louis tourist attraction--next to the World Bird Sanctuary.

Visit World Bird Sanctuary and the Butterfly House. We are only a half an hour from each other.

World Bird Sanctuary is open 8-5 Daily.
The Butterfly House is open 9-4 daily except Mondays 636-530-0076 

Submitted by Michael Zeloski, World Bird Sanctuary Naturalist.

No comments: