Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rodney - Good-by Old Friend


It is with a sad heart that I post the news that our Red Lored Amazon Parrot, Rodney, passed away today.

He began exhibiting signs of weakness and lack of appetite earlier this week.  He was immediately seen by our vet, and two different kinds of medication were prescribed.  When he showed no improvement he was taken to the vet's office to have blood drawn and to be x-rayed.  It was found that he had a cancerous tumor that was inhibiting his ability to swallow his food, that there was already internal damage to his other organs, and that there were no other treatment options.  With great reluctance the decision was made to humanely euthanize him.

Rodney was brought to the Milwaukee County Zoo's bird show in 1985 by a family that could no longer care for him.  We are not quite sure how old he was at that time, since it is believed he was a wild caught bird.  

Rodney quickly adjusted to life as an education bird, and has helped to entertain millions of people during his lifetime.  He was a real favorite with staff and visitors.  He would entertain visitors to our Nature Center by greeting them with a cheery "Hi", "Hello", or "Hello Cookie".   He could also squeal like a guinea pig, and meow like a cat.  Occasionally, he might be heard to say "I want my ball back".  He will be sorely missed by one and all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My condolences. He had a very happy life, and its awesome you all could provide that for him.

Anonymous said...

I will miss Rodney. I loved to hear him say hello. He was always a happy parrot.

WBS said...

The little Rod-monster brought a smile to my face on many a hard day. I will miss him.

Matthew said...

I will also miss Rodney. I had a conversation with him once that lasted for at least two minutes. Most of it was hello.... but still.
-by: a sad junior volunteer

Amy Deutsch said...

Sweet Rodney, I will miss you.

debrann222 said...

Aw. Rodney was my first bird friend at WBS.

He had me at "Hello Cookie"

My condolences.

Anonymous said...

Rodney was one of my favorite parrots to work with. Rodney used to 'dance' and it was the cutest thing. I will miss him.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is difficult to lose a friend. I know that he had a great life with you at WBS and that he was one lucky bird.