Friday, September 4, 2009

A Day with Dumpling

Anytime I work at our Visitor’s Information Center (VIC), I look forward to a little feathered friend that shadows me as I do my chores. Her name is Dumpling. She is a Bantam Cochin Chicken that was hatched at WBS in 1995.



During my work day, I let her roam free in the VIC building. She spends the majority of her time literally running after me, which the guests really get a kick out of. She was trained to run with her friend “Duster” in zoo shows, but I think she follows me in hopes that I will give her a treat. I take her outside at lunchtime, and she’ll get so excited that she almost jumps into my lap. You can bet that I have to share my lunch with her and that she won’t take “no” for an answer!


Dumpling has a sweet personality and has been used in zoo shows, children’s educational programs, BirdDay Parties and is a great educational bird. For instance, today a special needs group came by the Visitor’s Center, and Dumpling received all kinds of extra attention, and let the visitor’s pet her. She is enjoyed by adults and children alike.


Dumpling is just one of the birds at WBS that can be “adopted”. To adopt Dumpling, just click here, make a donation of $50.00, and specify in your payment notes “Adopt-A-Bird: Dumpling”.


Every donation helps to feed, house, and provide medical care for the bird of your choice! Adopt-A-Bird Parents receive:

  • A personal visit with the bird you adopt!!!!! Call ahead to schedule a time for your personal visit.
  • Certificate of Adoption
  • Color photo of the bird you've adopted
  • Sponsorship Card
  • One year's subscription to Mews News
  • Life History and Natural History of the bird
  • 10% Discount off WBS merchandise
  • Invitation to Sponsors-only events like Camera Day
  • Discounts on WBS Special Events
  • WBS Decal

Submitted by Billie Baumann, Outreach Coordinator, World Bird Sanctuary.

No comments: