Sunday, October 18, 2009

An Encounter With A Roadrunner

WBS field studies staff frequently travel to the southwest to do consulting work.

 On a recent trip to Arizona, while sitting in a hotel lobby, I was entertained by a roadrunner looking for lizards outside the main entrance door. 

The roadrunner approached quickly with what looked like real purpose.  It approached a square pillar which had a two-inch crack at the base.  As the roadrunner neared the pillar it kind of lay down on the ground to look under the pillar for lizards.  He did not find any on the first pass, so stood up, ran around to the next side, and did the same thing.  He then proceeded to do this on each side of the pillar.


Failing to find any lizards, he cautiously walked in front of the doors, looking in as he passed.  I quickly snapped a photo with my camera.  The bird kept going as I tried to walk to the window to watch more.  However, I was spotted and it took off like the wind! 

I only wish that I had gotten the camera out sooner to photograph the antics of this cartoon-like character.

Article and photo submitted by Cathy Spahn, World Bird Sanctuary Field Studies Coordinator

No comments: