Tuesday, March 27, 2012

365 Photo Project: Orchids and Butterflies

The month of February was slow for photo opportunities.  However, I did have some outings that resulted in some nice photos. 
 Can you identify this winged wonder?
My absolute favorite photo for the month is one I took at the St. Louis Zoo in the Monsanto Insectarium.  I did not write down the species of butterfly or where it is from, but it is absolutely beautiful.  I managed to get a full frame photo which makes it a great photo.  I just love the blue, white and black as it makes this butterfly a very striking insect.  Could one of our readers identify this beautiful creature?

Another of my favorite photos is from the MO Botanical Gardens Orchid Show.  Once again I am horrible at writing down the names and species of the flowers.  I believe this one may be an oncidium.  Would any of our orchid savvy readers know if this is correct?  These crinkly orchids always make me smile.  I don’t know why--they just do. 
 Does anyone know the name of this crinkly critter?
Orchids have always played a special role in my life.   For years I would go to local orchid shows with my Mom, and I grew up helping her with her 70+ orchids.  When it comes to taking photos at the orchid show I could spend hours taking pictures.  I just find it relaxing.

I find taking photos to be a great way to spend a day off relaxing.  I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Submitted by Cathy Spahn, World Bird Sanctuary Naturalist

No comments: